Thursday, December 10, 2009

PET scan and Surgeon appointment

OK so today I had my PET scan. I was thinking it was just like the MRI I had but I would be in the machine for two hours instead of the hour I was before.
Well I was wrong. I go in and the nurses are great-I am still thinking because I tend to look only 25ish not 32. I walk in and they take me back to a small room and check my sugar. I had to fast for this one. My sugar was fine, so they brought out this needle in a large metal container. Radioactive material. I should have taken a pic of that surenge. They gave me saline and the radioactive junk and told me I had to lay there for an hour and a half. Then she brought in this totally nasty drink that I gaged down. The actual scan took only 20 minutes. My fingers are crossed that this has not spread past my lymph nodes. I am due for some half way good news.

After the scan my sis and I took my nephew over to CEC (chuck e cheese) so that he could get his energy out before heading back to the cancer center to see my surgeon.
We also stopped by a small toy store downtown and bought the Elf on the Shelf-
It is a newer Christmas tradition where an elf sits on a shelf and watches the kids during the day and after they go to sleep he reports back to santa. He is majical and when the kids wake up in the am he is in a new location and the kids have to find him-only rules are-they cannot touch him and he cannot talk to them. It is really cute and comes with a story book. It was a huge hit with my four youngest!

After our shopping trip we headed back to the surgeons office. I was there just to schedule my day to have my port put in. We talked and joked about a few other things. He loves to repeat the fact that I have 6 kids/5 pregnancies-lol I think he is also impressed that I am not an emotional basketcase. I tend to joke alot-heck its better to joke then to walk around like a zombie and red eyes. Now I have my days or moments but not as bad now as it was in the begining. After telling Dr Hird that Monday and Thursday were out-then sis saying Tuesday was out we finally decided that Wednesday was the day the port was being put in and another biopsy for the clinical study. He also told me after chemo started that he wanted me to come in and discuss options about surgery. He didn't want to rush into anything yet. Love my surgeon though he is great. My oncologist is great too! His nurses already know half my life story. lol

After I was done at Dr Hird's office I went down a floor to my oncologists office and got both my flu shots. Not bad-my arm is sore. I will be getting a phone call from my oncologist about my results from the PET scan.

Off to bed now....

No comments:

Post a Comment